Monday, October 10, 2011

36 Blackbird, Fly

I know grading for Art is over but I did this the other day and have become accustomed to posting anything art-related on this space. (That's a good thing, right?) Anyway in my boredom of mugging I decided to challenge myself by coming up with a wearable collection of clothes.

Sounds strange, but seeing as most of my inspiration comes from runways and couture and whatnot, my designs tend to be in the form of gowns and runway pieces- wearable, but for the red carpet, not your typical suburban shopping mall. So I came up with a couple of sundresses.

One thing that always intrigued me when I started trying to turn my hobby of fashion design into something more serious a couple of years ago, was how designers came up with prints. Before that I always squiggled curly lines where I wanted prints to go, and I assumed designers just blew up stock images from Google Images (hahahahaha, I know). Now I'm paying more attention to detail (eg. HOW TO DRAW LACE... still a novice at that, I'm afraid).

I've heard some designers design prints based on their own photographs, which they manipulate digitally. Sounds interesting, so I decided to try it myself. I've always got some prints in mind but I never really know how they'll turn out.
Using Paint, I came up with this strange gem shape. It looks kind of religious, doesn't it.

I coloured in this hummingbird illustration (from Google...) using the watercolour tool on Paint, with reference to kingfishers. I know, I know, my references are all over the place.

I took this screenshot cos I thought it looked funny, like birds were attacking Powerpoint.

Taa-daa!
I like the background blue, and the hummingbird turned out lovely, but the gem shape looks kind of strange. I thought it would be nice to have a few not-quite-white gems falling in the middle of the birds but bleh, I probably got bored and dumped this strange symbolic-looking... thing instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment